I always see these celebrity playlists on I-Tunes, and so being the celebrity that I am (to my mom), I decided to create my own list. I am a huge music fan; it is probably one of my most favorite things (next to rain drops on roses). Lately, I have been listening to a playlist I created a couple of weeks ago entitled "Current Addictions". These are songs off this playlist. I've also included brief explanations as to why you should immediately download all of them.
1. "The Winner Is" by Devotchka (Little Miss Sunshine Soundtrack)-- I love this movie, I love this soundtrack. This song, in particular, is beautiful. I love the string arrangement.
2. "Beach Chair" by Jay-Z--I'm not really a fan of rap (minus the Lil' Kim poster hanging in my bedroom), but I am a fan of Jay-Z. I mean you can't go wrong with lyrics like, "Ladies is pimps too." He's a modern day Shakespeare. This song features Chris Martin from Coldplay. Fun to play when life is feeling like anything but a beach chair.
3. "Holy, Holy, Holy" sung by Sufjan Stevens--I heart Sufjan, I heart this hymn. The combination is perfection. I can't help but smile throughout the whole song. (Thanks, Rachel!)
4. "Into Dust" & "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star--her voice is haunting. I love the acoustic on "Into Dust" and the Felicity-like sound in "Fade Into You". Added Bonus: "Into Dust" featured in Tijuana OC episode.
5. "Rain" by Priscilla Ahn--New take on old "Rain, rain go away" rhyme. It makes me smile and dream of spring.
6. "I Feel It All" by Feist--I first heard this song in The Gap. I started dancing. By myself. Nothing of the Flashdance variety, but there was some shaking of the booty going on. I heart Feist.
7. "Reasons to Love You" by Meiko--I think one of the best songs I've heard in a while. Sweet melody, sweet lyrics. I want to learn how to play the guitar just so I can play this song in a coffee house (preferably Central Perk) or Radio City Music Hall.
8. "To Build a Home" by Cinematic Orchestra--The song elicits a sort of peaceful melancholy. The piano part in this song is amazing. Perfect song for a drive down a long, hilly road (in Hillsdale County).
9. "My Moon My Man" by Feist--Can't help but dance when I hear this song. I heart Feist.
10. "Breathe Me" by Sia--If you go to download this song, you might encounter the interesting art for her new cd. The album cover has a picture of her coloring her face a la Miss Lippey from Billy Madison. Her songs are not as weird as she is. This song has yet another moving piano melody. Good driving song.
11. "Falling Awake" by Gary Jules--I love Gary Jules (who doesn't love "Mad World"). This song has a moving acoustic accompaniment. His voice is completely mellifluous.
12. "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles--Think Fiona Apple meets Natasha Bedingfield. It's the song I have currently been singing at the top of my lungs (several times in a row) as I drive home from work. Good chick song.
13. "Reckoner" by Radiohead--The song is from recent Rainbows album. It's hypnotic. I love the whole album, and this song is my favorite.
14. "Happy Everafter in Your Eyes" by Ben Harper--I fell in love with Ben Harper when I heard his song "Forever" when I was in college. "Forever" is probably a song every girl wants to have sung to her....followed by this song. It makes me starry-eyed.
15. "Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding--This is the song I play when I dance around the apartment. It never gets old.
16. "Breakable" by Ingrid Michaelson--I imagine this song was recorded on a playground...it's a playful, sweet song.