Thursday, August 16, 2007

In the wee small hours of the morning...

As my college roommate can attest, I am NOT a morning person. I am definitely late to bed and late to rise. (So why I would choose to go into a profession that requires me to wake up before God is beyond me, but that's beside the point.) Lately, I have not been able to sleep well during the night. I don't fully hit my REM stride until about 7:00 in the morning...which means from about midnight until that point, I am tossing and turning, garnering as much sleep as I can during these twilight hours. When I drag myself out of bed at 9:30, I am exhausted. I have some theories as to why sleep seems to elude me. They range from most ridiculous to most probable:

1.) Somewhere in my lineage, one of my ancestors married a vampire and the aversion to daylight seemed to trickle down from generation to generation.

2.) No doubt, a pea had been placed under my mattress and I am really a princess, because everyone knows this is the true test of whether or not someone is of royal blood.

3.) The 10 marshmallows I eat before I try to sleep make it difficult for my heart to slow down enough to allow my body to rest.

4.) Watching "Rock of Love" on VH1 before I go to bed is detrimental to my mental health which upsets my body's circadian rhythms.

5.) I lay awake worrying about how we have no money and I have no job and...oh my word, why can't I just trust God and be okay with life and know that He always provides and He will continue to provide and what the heck is my problem and what was that noise and what if Ben didn't hear that noise and I'm left alone to face the faceless noise which, without doubt, is the cougar that has been seen roaming Southern Michigan and don't be ridiculous how could a cougar get into our aparment and what am I going to wear tomorrow and I hope subbing won't be too awful this year and maybe I'll get a long term sub job but I hope it's at Western or (gasp) Concord and I hope we can have a baby within the next two years and what if I can't get pregnant and I hope I can run 4 miles and....

Yeah...maybe that's why I can't sleep.

1 comment:

Kyle Luke said...

It's oddly comforting to know that someone else is kept up worrying about some of the same things I do . . . but I do hope you get some rest soon!