Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Discovering singing in the car again!

I think one of my favorite things to do is sing...loudly...a lot. One of my favorite places to sing is in the car. When I worked at Somerset, I often enjoyed the 20 minute drives to and from work because I was able to appease the pop star that is within me. After I left, the longest distance I drove in the car by myself was 10 miles to Jackson, not a lot of good singing time. Every other time Ben would be in the car with me and it's hard to sing along with Christian Contemporary boy music.
When I found out I would once again have a job that required me to drive a moderate distance, my inner musician leapt for joy! While driving down today, I selected the playlist entitled "girl music" to maximize my singing time. It was glorious. I dueted it up with Kelly Clarkson, lamented broken relationships with Ani DiFranco and Fiona Apple, warbled with the Cranberries, sang nonsensical lyrics with Tori Amos, etc. It was a mobile Lillith Fair (without the lesbian fans).
An added treat to my traveling concert series is that I am driving backroads so there isn't that awkward moment when you pull up to another driver and you have to pretend you were talking on the phone or cover your mouth with your hand or discretely turn your head the other way. One day I will have the gumption to keep singing without fear of being taken for a person with multiple personality disorder.

No comments: