Saturday, December 22, 2007

Writer's Guild

Yesterday I was reading about Mark Twain (nerd alert). As I was reading, I wondered what it would be like to have a conversation with him; his humor seems like my kind of humor (twisted and sarcastic). I'm sure we'd have a wonderful time making fun of people. Anyway, I began to think about other authors (deceased) with whom I would like to sit down and have a conversation. I shared this with my dear friend Rachel who shares my love of literature and is a fellow High School English teacher. We immediately became giddy about our nerdom and decided to post our top 10 list ala David Letterman style. That's right, we are both posting a top 10 list of authors whom we would like to meet and share some nachos with (dangling preposition). My list goes from author I wouldn't mind meeting to author I would most like to meet. All authors are deceased.

10. Ernest Hemingway - misogynistic drunk who's seen his share of things (including bull fights). I guess I would like to meet him and ask why he hated life so much and why he hated neat, orderly syntax.

9. Beverly Cleary - I devoured her Ramona books. She is the reason I love to read. (She's not deceased...but I had to mention her)

8. J.D. Salinger - Have you read Nine Stories? That would be a trippy conversation.

7. John Donne - Favorite poet. No man is an island, indeed, Mr. Donne.

6. Harper Lee - She authored one of my favorite books. I would love to talk with her about it. And, she was good friends with Truman Capote...oh, what she must know. (Okay, she's not dead either...but...ummmm....I got nothing)

5. Mark Twain - I'm sure I would be in hysterics the whole time. I'd ask him to meet me at the mall so we could make fun of people (with love...of course).

4. J.R.R. Tolkien - Maybe he'd bring a hobbit along.

3. William Shakespeare - Ummm...because he's Shakespeare...no explanation needed.

Okay the next two are pretty much tied. I'd actually want to go on a picnic with both, but this is a numbered list and there needs to be a number 2, so here we go...(the anticipation must be killing you).

2. Clive Staples Lewis - I'm sure my IQ would increase tremendously just being in the same room with him. He was a brilliant, devoted Christian who wrote masterpieces. His writing is inspiring and humbling.

And the moment we've all been waiting for (and by all, I mean my mom, Rachel's mom, and probably Rachel)...

1. Jane Austen - Absolutely my favorite author of all time (even before she was so popular). Pride and Prejudice is a book that I will never get tired of, as I always find myself nervously anticipating Mr. Darcy's second proposal. From Chapter 58 on I have a permanent smile. Never has an author made me fall in love with her characters the way Ms. Austen has. She was also a keen observer of society with a wicked sense of humor. I'm sure we would be instant BFFs.

Honorable Mentions: Roald Dahl (I heart BFG), F. Scott Fitzgerald, Truman Capote, Mary Shelley, the Bronte Sisters (that would probably be a downer of a lunch), Lucy Maud Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables), Laura Ingalls Wilder, John Steinbeck (I might actually substitute him for Hemingway), Paul and Moses.

1 comment:

rachel said...

Excellent, excellent list! I totally forgot about Beverly Cleary. Also, I did not know she was dead. Who doesn't love Ramona and Superfudge?! Edgar Allen Poe was a runner-up for me, simply because I would just want to give him a hug. What a depressing life. But on a positive note - we are awesome in our divine nerdity. Have a wonderful Christmas!!