Saturday, September 8, 2007

Tales of the sleep deprived

It has been a while since I've posted and I feel as if I've neglected a friend, an inanimate, one-sided friend. So I have not known sleep-deprivation like I have known it these past two weeks. Since I was a lethargic couch potato over the summer, sleep was always an afternoon nap away. My life changed somewhat dramatically in the past three weeks, and being a dramatic person, you may think I use the term loosely, but I sincerely do not. I went from waking up at 10:00 a.m. to waking up at 7:00 a.m. to waking up at 5:15 a.m. It hurts to even write 5:15 a.m. The reason for the early mornings is one for which I am entirely grateful; however, getting up early is not one of my strengths, unless you consider tearing off someone's arm because they looked at you the wrong way before you've had a shower a strength...many would not.
I've often heard that driving whilst sleep deprived is similar to driving drunk. Having never driven drunk, I could not say whether or not this was true. I have, however, feared for the safety of other drivers while I have been driving this past week. At one point, on my way to work, I turned down a street for no particular reason. It was not on my way to work, I have never driven down this street, and it made no sense whatsoever for me to drive down this street. All of these thoughts did not occur to me, though, until I was about three miles down the street in question. I also find myself asking the always alarming question: how did I get here? when I arrive to work. As I walk into work, I pray that I did not hit an animal or person and that I stopped for stop signs. I'm hoping my body will get used to waking up early again and that my circadian rythms can reset themselves. Until that time, you may want to avoid driving down US-12.

NOTE: I do have an impeccable driving record...except for the time I got a ticket for driving without my headlights on.

1 comment:

rachel said...

ugh, i remember those early mornings... i feel ya.