Monday, April 5, 2010

"Oh Muse, Tell Me the Story..."

I have been a negligent blogger.  Honestly, I have had no inclination to write. AT.ALL.  I have a letter to Eli for his 13 month birthday sitting in my drafts; I have another draft detailing our trip to California; and I started another post about random things I think about.  All of them are half finished.  Well, Eli's is finished, but I don't like it; it's too...ummm...I don't know. 

There is this fabulous book called Bird by Bird that instructs writer's block inflicted writers to just start writing and the inspiration should come.  So, I'm just going to put together something in the hopes that my muse will take a break from sipping drinks on a beach somewhere far away and sing to me a story. 

So, I'm once again stealing borrowing Rachel's list (with some of my own modifications).  I know to following is not a best seller, but it's something.


Reading: Wild Things.  My friend, Sara gave this blessed book to me for my birthday.  I haven't read all of it, but the insight these men provide is so interesting.  Not only do I see my own son in their writing, but I see my husband.  It has compelled me to read Wild at Heart.  This book has been somewhere on my "must read" list for a while, but reading Wild Things has bumped it up the queue.  
 
Oh, and I'm still reading Middlemarch by George Eliot.  The book is 800+ pages, people. 

Listening: So my ipod has been sitting in the bottom of my purse for a week now without a charge.  It really is a lot of work to take it out of my purse, walk it 10 feet to my computer and charge it.  I can't even stand it.  So, I've been listening to a mixed c.d. (in my car) complete with music from Sufjan, Regina Spektor, Aqualung, Ray LaMontagne, and Van Morrison.  There is also a random Beyonce song on it...not sure what I was thinking there. 

Watching: Ben and I have been watching Seinfeld episodes (from season 5) after we've put Eli to bed the last couple nights.  Two nights ago, my sister Carol came over and we watched New Moon.  Jealous?

Cooking: Nothing.  I suck.  The last thing I made was chicken burritos.  And that was last Monday.  This past week was a bit of a challenge, and so I really had no motivation to do really anything. 
 
Eating: Candy.  Sweet, cavity inducing candy.  I gave up candy for Lent.  No, I'm not Catholic; I just wanted to give up something that has been a vice of mine for far too long.  So, I gave up candy.  I tried giving up sweet things all together, but about three weeks in, I felt that I might murder someone, so I bought some Little Debbie oatmeal cream pies.   (I kind of cheated with the candy thing and ate a McDonald's M&M flurry, but I mean I just count that as ice cream.) So, my mother gave us this massive Easter basket filled with candy.  Internet, I have not stopped eating from it since she gave it to us yesterday at lunch.  I had a hand full of Whopper Robin's Eggs for breakfast.  The lesson learned here: don't give up stuff.

Thinking: I should go for a run.  I haven't worked out in a week (see above mentioned "cooking").  I'm pretty sure I might collapse in a ditch clutching my sugar rotted gut, but I really need to get out there.

Craving: Produce of some kind.  Anything to offset this overdose of sugar.

Excited About: Ben's 30th Birthday!!! My husband turns the big 3-0 this Sunday. 

Laughing At: Not much lately.  I need a good laugh.  Quick, someone tell me a joke or a funny anecdote or a clever limerick. 

Annoyed With: Michigan.  We need a vacation. 

Feeling Bad: That I haven't sent my grandpa a thank you note with pictures from our fun-filled Cali week yet (yes, I know I just wrote that we need a vacation.   But we need a vacation where all of us are together).  Grandpa, if you're reading this, note and pictures are forthcoming. 

Missing: Teaching.  I visited Will Carleton the other day, and it made me miss my students and the classroom.  I don't regret leaving, but I do miss it. 

Loving: the weather.  It's nice to be outside with Eli and not in this shrinking apartment.    

Planning: to go grocery shopping.  My poor husband had to eat cereal and popcorn for dinner last night.  Granted, we had a late Outback lunch, but still. 

Thankful for: Family, friends, and my faith.  The Lord has truly blessed our family. 

2 comments:

Lacey said...

If you are annoyed with Michigan, you should come to Colorado!!!

rachel said...

LOL - i loved this post. my favorite part is the image of you in a ditch clutching your sugar rotted gut. but only because i'll be right there next to you, clutching my large intestine, which i'm pretty sure has turned into a massive cadbury egg.