Saturday, November 10, 2007

Reader's Coner, Part Deux


I recently read a wonderful novel, a novel that speaks to anyone who has ever harbored secret feelings for Mr. Darcy. I have been a long-time fan of Jane Austen and her endearing characters. On the advice of several of my students, who share my love for Austen characters and plot lines, I purchased a book by Shannon Hale. The book is entitled AUSTENLAND and it is wonderfully addicting. I bought it on a Thursday and finished it 4 days later (I probably would have finished it sooner if sleep wasn't so necessary).

The story's heroine, Jane Hayes, has had some rough luck when it comes to romance. Every man she ever meets seems to fall miles short of the charming Mr. Darcy. Jane seems doomed to love a fictional charcter for the rest of her life until her aunt leaves her a peculiar trip in her will. Jane is offered the chance to go to England and stay as house guest at Pembrook Park, Kent, a resort in which women have the chance to step into the literary world of Jane Austen. Jane, wishing to leave Mr. Darcy behind her, agrees to submerge herself into this world of Regency hoping to get over her lofty romantic ideals. Leaving the modern world behind, Jane dons empire waisted gowns, masters Regency etiquette, and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen. The book is funny and charming. A reader can't help but root for Jane to find her very own real life Mr. Darcy.

For anyone who has ever imagined herself dancing at an Austen ball or arguing with the irresistable Mr. Darcy, this book is for you. If you want to borrow my copy, I require a $20 deposit and the deed to your property. You'll get it back.

1 comment:

rachel said...

that book sounds awesome.
i am emailing you soon.